Please note: These are general guidelines for caring for a silicone form. Please refer to the manufacturer’s instructions to find the best way to care for your individual piece. If you have questions please do not hesitate to Contact us.
Breast forms are incredibly resilient and are designed to stand up to the normal everyday demands placed upon them. Many women find that wearing a prosthesis is a comfortable and natural looking way to restore symmetry following a mastectomy or surgery or to just enhance what you already have. With proper care and maintenance, a prosthesis will provide many years of service and use.
To ensure long lasting satisfaction and performance, please follow these care recommendations:
- Treat the breast form as you would your own skin/body. Take care with sharp objects. Finger nails, broaches, scissors and pet claws can cause permanent damage to the breast form’s film. Do not pinch, rub or wring the breast for at any time.
- Be fit by a professionally trained mastectomy fitter. This will ensure proper bra fit and reduce the likelihood of causing permanent damage to the breast form.
- Avoid applying powder, perfume, deodorant, cream, moisturizer, tanning products or any lotions to the breast form, as well as to the chest wall.
- Wash breast form by hand daily with a mild soap and warm water, rinse thoroughly, towel dry. Do not wring.
- Store the breast form in its original packaging and away from direct heat when not being worn. This allows the breast form to maintain its shape and protect it from accidental harm.
- In the unlikely event the breast form contains small air bubbles, please allow a few days for them to dissipate. Air bubbles do not affect the integrity or performance of the breast form.
- If your form was supplied with a soft-cotton backed cover, please use care when inserting the breast form into the protective packaging as repeated, unnecessary squeezing or pulling of the breast form can cause damage.
How do I clean my form/prosthesis?
- Wash with soft cleaner/soap with gentle cloth and gently scrub.
- Be careful not to puncture or tear outer skin of breast form.
- Rinse with cool water and or clean soft cloth rinsed in water.
- Allow to dry naturally or with a hair dryer on a low temperature setting.
Is there any way to make wearing my breast form cooler?
Wearing the breast prosthesis inside the bra pocket of a specially designed mastectomy bra keeps the prosthesis off the skin. This creates more ventilation to evaporate perspiration. Some women claim that a lighter weight prosthesis feels cooler. It is very important to wear a bra that supports the breasts and prosthesis and keeps them from resting on the abdomen, as constant moisture in this area can create skin irritation.
What is the expected life time of silicone breast forms?
Most breast prostheses will last many years if cared for properly.
- Keep from damage by storing it in it’s packaging when not in use.
- Keep the prosthesis from punctures or erosion
- Keep the skin of the prosthesis from perfume or lotions.
Premium breast prostheses may last longer than two years with proper care. It is still a good idea to see a Certified Mastectomy Fitter yearly to have a fit assessment, as women’s bodies change with age and weight.